I bought a huge bag of frozen turkey meatballs at Costco. They seemed like a good choice for a quick and easy protein, different from our usual roasted chicken or pot roast. The obvious choice is to heat these up with some marinara and serve with pasta and tons of parmesan cheese. But the crockpot looked like it needed some love so I searched for recipes and found No-Fuss Beer BBQ Meatballs.
These would be perfect for a party (Superbowl is coming!) or pot luck. They’re a little big for a toothpick, but you could probably serve them from the crockpot with those fancy mini forks. I ate mine with in a toasted pita with cucumber salad. The cool, crisp cucumber was a nice compliment the sweet BBQ sauce and tenderness of the meat. These would be great on a toasted hoagie with coleslaw on top – yum!
I modified the original recipe a bit:
- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds frozen meatballs (I counted out about 30 meatballs)
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin (I used the mandolin, one of my favorite gadgets!)
- 6-8 ounces beer, (I used blue moon…and drank the other half)
- 3/4 cups ketchup
- 1 tbs. white wine vinegar (I didn’t have red)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt (I decreased the other ingredients but left the spices the same, combining garlic and salt)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tbs. brown sugar
Put everything but the meatballs in the crockpot and stir to combine. Add the meatballs (frozen) and coat them in sauce. Turn on low and cook for 8 hours. Your house is going to smell delicious!
I made this earlier in the week and forgot to take pictures, next time! Leia enjoyed these and they were great as leftovers the next day. Obviously 30 meatballs is too many for Leia and myself so I sent most of them home with my Mom and got great reviews from her and my Uncle.